Mitsui OSK Lines & Nagashiki Shipping respond to Greenpeace Japan's request for information regarding Mauritius oil spill
[Excerpt translation from Japanese to English provided by the Business & Human Rights Resource Centre.]
"Companies fail to demonstrate strengthened efforts or concrete plans to prevent future accidents--Mitsui OSK Lines and Nagashiki Shipping respond to letter regarding Mauritius oil spill", 21 Aug 2020
…[Greenpeace Japan] submitted a letter requesting both Mitsui OSK Lines and Nagashiki Shipping to address the following four points: 1. fully implement the "polluter pays" principle, 2. bear costs for third-party investigations and disclose details of the investigation, 3. discontinue the shopping route that caused the accident, and 4. withdraw their use of fossil fuels.
Response from Mitsui OSK Lines
- We will take appropriate measures, such as proactively responding to investigations by authorities, in accordance with laws and regulations.
- With regards to the shipping route and use of fossil fuel that caused the oil spill, we will work to prevent future accidents.
- We are working with local authorities, gathering information, enacting measures to prevent the oil spill from spreading, and assisting with the oil spill cleanup. To that end, we have dispatched staff to the accident site and are procuring and transporting supplies. We are also considering efforts to dispatch additional personnel and supplies.
- We will work towards operating our business with greater consideration for sustainability, including the environment.
Response from Nagashiki Shipping
- We are painfully aware of our responsibilities as the shipowner and are making every effort to fulfill our responsibility by cleaning up the oil spill.
- In accordance with the law, we will address the oil spill damage in good faith together with the Japan Shipowner Liability Mutual Insurance Association.
- We will investigate the cause of the accident, clean up the oil spill, and actively work towards restoring the environment.
- With regards to shipping routes and the use of fossil fuels that caused the oil spill, we will take measures to prevent future accidents.
- We dispatched two employees to cooperate with the authorities, collect information, prevent the oil spill from spreading, and support with the oil spill recovery. We are also considering dispatching additional personnel and other types of support.
- We aim to manage our business with consideration for sustainability, paying attention to reducing environmental impact and adopting renewable energy...